If you read my post Goals for 2018: Blogging, then you know I’ve really been lagging on this whole new years kick. Like I always say though, better late than never. I really don’t know what it has been this month but I’ve been in a little bit of a funk. For really no reason at all! January has actually been a pretty good month with a few new opportunities that have come my way, getting in a lot of quality time with friends, and doing some serious purging and spring cleaning that was so necessary. I honestly think my funk is because I love September-December so much and always have so much to look forward to that time of year that it’s almost disappointing when you have nothing to look forward to for a month. Is that bad?! Someone tell me I’m not alone! I also think it’s the weather…the weather in January just plain sucks and I live in California where I know it’s not nearly as bad as the rest of the country.
Enough talk about the funk that I’ve been in, let’s talk about some of my personal goals for 2018. While I won’t be sharing them all here I thought I would share a few of them that cover various things I want to improve on this year. I saw the best quote on Instagram yesterday from Tone It Up that basically described how I feel about January….
Goals for 2018: Personal
Personal Goal No. 1: Buy Less Stuff
- I can honestly say that this goal is going to be hard for me. I LOVEEEE me some trips to Target, combing every aisle at HomeGoods at least twice before leaving the store, and browsing every online store I can. In fact, if online shopping was a hobby, it would definitely be mine. How ridiculous does that sound?! I know… I know! Before going into Christmas I felt like our apartment just had too much stuff in it but decided I’d deal with that after the holidays. I hate that weighed down feeling and that’s definitely what I had before Christmas decor went up. The last few weeks I’ve done nothing but purge every closet, drawer, and cabinet that I could get my hands on. I was so sick of stuff constantly falling out every time I opened one of said drawers, cabinets, and closets. Enough is enough already. We live in a small space and it requires constant organizing and shuffling things around. I’m happy to report that my big purge left us with open shelves in some of our closets, things aren’t falling out of the kitchen cabinets, and drawers actually close. What a concept, right?! Now with that said, I do love home decor and switching some things up here and there but I decided if I purchase something new, then something old that I don’t love has got to go. Bye, Felicia!
Personal Goal No. 2: Learn To Apply Make-Up Like A Grown Ass Woman–LOL
- Let me preface this by saying that I can apply makeup, just not that great. I’ve always been into skincare and new skincare products and what different products do because I grew up watching my mom always take great care of her skin. She also taught me how to do the same. However, I never really got into makeup. My parents wouldn’t let me really wear anything other than lipgloss and mascara until some point in high school, I think it was my sophmore or junior year. Let’s just say, thank god my skin was still good at that point because being the only girl coming to school without a face full of makeup felt like the worst thing ever at that point in time, haha. When I look back at pictures I am grateful my parents made me wait as long as possible to wear makeup. But now, here I am close to turning 30 and my eye shadow game and foundation applying skills could use some serious work–who knew you weren’t just supposed to smear foundation on your face. Blending….what does that even mean?? Haha, I’m just kidding, sort of… So a frivolous goal of mine this year is to apply makeup like a grown ass woman.
Personal Goal No. 3: Stop Doing Make-Up In The Car
- Learning to do make-up like a grown ass woman might be easier if I wasn’t constantly doing it in the car during commute traffic. Enough said on that one!
Personal Goal No. 4: Take Back My Weekends
- I have been doing this since I first started working post college. I spend my weekends recouping from the week before and then getting ready for the upcoming week. I’M TIRED OF IT! It really makes me feel like my work/life balance is completely off. I don’t want to spend my weekends getting ready for the next work week anymore, this girl is done with that. I’m taking back my weekends and after just one weekend of doing this I already feel so much better! This definitely switches up my weekday routines a little bit because now it’s fitting laundry, grocery shopping, cleaning, meal prepping, etc into the weeknights. In the end this is going to be the best thing for my sanity and to feel like I’m actually living life for more than just work.
Personal Goal No. 5: Remember That I Can Do Anything But Not Everything
- Remembering this saying is going to be my mantra for the year. It’s going to help me prioritize the things that I really want and need to do while letting other things fall by the wayside that aren’t as important. For me, this is probably going to be a lot of outsourcing in terms of using grocery delivery services to help free up time. Hiring someone to help with back end blog things that I always mess up and then spend more time fixing it. It’s also great having Ryan help with things that I fall short at doing instead of stressing myself out to only do a mediocre job.
I’m really excited that it’s finally February and that the weather in California is BEYOND AMAZING right now!! I’m excited to finally be on board with this new year and plan to make it a great one. Have you all set goals for yourself? If you have I’d love to hear them!