The temperatures have finally dropped in Northern California!! That means it’s time to break out ALLLL the sweaters and warm comfort foods. One of my favorite comfort foods is this quick and easy homemade chicken tortilla soup. Full disclaimer, I am not the chef in our family, Ryan is. We prefer our food to be edible so he handles most of the cooking since I’m somewhat of a hot mess in the kitchen. Whatever recipe you see on the blog is usually my Mom or Ryan’s with the exception of the cocktail recipes. This tortilla soup has been on repeat for dinners and lunches since the temps dropped and I don’t think I’ll ever get sick of it.
The best part about this tortilla soup is that is takes less than 30-minutes and yields plenty of leftovers for the week. Talk about a win-win. Ryan and I like to have one to two dinners that we make for the week that give us leftovers to make the dinners easier and this tortilla soup does just that.
How To Make The Homemade Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 good size or 2 small rotisserie chickens. I purchase ours from Whole Foods because they are actual plain chickens. The ones at Safeway are loaded with ingredients like sugar, yes actual sugar is put in them and they taste sweet (IMO). Also buying the chicken cooked makes the recipe so easy.
- 32oz of chicken broth
- 1 can fire roasted canned green chiles
- 1 jar of green salsa
- 2 cans white beans (navy)
- 3-4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons orgeano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro, avocado, sour cream, cheese, tortilla chips to garnish
- Put large stock pot on medium heat
- Once hot, melt 1 tablespoon of butter (or olive oil)
- Add diced onion to pot and cook for a few minutes
- Add minced garlic and salt to taste to pot and cook with onions until soft
- Add green chiles, salsa, beans, shredded chicken (shred as thin as you’d like), chicken stock, and spices to stock pot
- Bring to boil and then let simmer on medium-low for at least one hour
- Garnish with toppings of your choice
I hope this soup warms your hearts and body temperatures throughout these upcoming chilly months!